Search site

I want to find out more about options after Year 11 - Parents/Carers and students

I want to find out about staying in full time education

What qualifications can I study if I stay in full time education?

You can study full time qualifications such as vocational BTECs, CACHE, OCR, NVQ, A levels and the International Baccalaureate and IB Careers Programme. You can study different levels of qualification so that you find the level of learning to suit you.

How do I decide which qualification to study?

  • Subjects you enjoy and you are good at
  • Subjects you might need for your career ideas
  • Your learning style
  • Grades you expect to get in Year 11
  • Programme choices available

What do Levels 1, 2 and 3 mean?

The level of qualification will let you know how difficult it will be and the grades you need to study it. For example:

A levels are Level 3 qualifications
BTECs are available as Level 3, Level 2 and Level 1

Entry to Level 3 courses is normally 5 GCSEs at grade C/grade 4 or above including English Language
Entry to Level 2 courses is normally 4 GCSEs at grade D/grade 3
Entry to Level 1 courses is normally an Entry level qualification and the ability to work at Level 1 without support

What are Vocational Courses such as BTEC?

Vocational courses are available at the Guernsey College of Further Education at Level 1, 2 or 3. Vocational qualifications can range from general qualifications where you learn skills relevant to a variety of jobs, to specialist qualifications designed for a particular sector.They are available from several awarding bodies, such as BTEC, City and Guilds, Edexcel and OCR, and can be taken at many different sizes and levels.

Use the links on the right hand side of this page to find out more about the courses at the Guernsey College of Further Education.

What are A levels?

A levels are Level 3 qualifications and you normally need 5 GCSEs at grade C /grade 4 or above including English Language  (you need grades A/B at GCSE for some A level subject entry).

A levels are studied and assessed in a similar way to GCSE's with examinations and coursework where appropriate. Students normally choose to study 3 or 4 main subjects over 2 years.

A levels can be studied at the Sixth Form Centre, Ladies College, Elizabeth College or Blanchelande College (Blanchelande Sixth Form from September 2020).

What is the IB (International Baccalaureate) qualification?

The IB is a full time Level 3 qualification where you study a range of subjects. There are 6 groups of subjects and you choose a subject from each group and you will study 3 of them at Higher Level and 3 of them at Standard Level. You normally need a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C / grade 4 or above including English Language and Maths (higher grades are needed to study some subjects in the IB).

What is the IB Career- related programme (CP)? 

The International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (CP) is a Level 3 qualification offered between the Sixth Form Centre and Guernsey College of Further Education. This programme is for students who wish to combine academic study with a professional financial qualification. 

Use the links on the right hand side of this page to find out more about A level, IB and IB Career-related programme courses available.

How and When do I apply for courses?

You apply for courses at school and the deadline is usually middle of March in Year 11. There will also be presentations at school about full time learning post-16 and open days you can go on. Information will be given to you at school about these.

I want to find out about Apprenticeships

What is an Apprenticeship? Apprenticeship hair show

An Apprenticeship means you are working for a company and being trained alongside experienced staff to gain job-specific skills.

You are an employee so this means you get paid a wage which usually increases as you work your way through your apprenticeship.

What does the training involve?

Training involves spending time away from the workplace, either at the College of Further Education or through other organised training. You will work towards recognised qualifications for that industry and it will take you between 3 and 5 years to complete an apprenticeship (the time it takes you depends on which industry you choose).

How do I know which industry to choose?

You need to find out which industry you are interested in and which one will suit you with your skills and interests.

You can use the KUDOS programme to help you check your interests and ideas. Use the A-Z search in KUDOS. You will need to use your Log-in given to you by your Careers Teacher. KUDOS This link opens in a new browser window

If you are not sure of your Log-in, ask your Careers Teacher or contact us.

You may have tried out a trade on work experience or in the College of FE Links course which can help you work out which trade is more suited to you.

Find out which industries are in the apprenticeship scheme.

How do I find an Apprenticeship?

Once you know which industry you are aiming for, you need to find an employer who is willing to take you on as an apprentice.

You can check which employers are registered in the Apprenticeship Scheme by using the Apprenticeship lists in your school (ask your Careers Teacher) or by contacting the Apprenticeship Scheme Manager at the College of Further Education Tel: 737501 or

You need to contact the employers directly either to check if they are interested in taking on an apprentice. You may need to send them a copy of your CV and a letter explaining your interest in the trade you have chosen. It can take a while to find an apprenticeship as not many get advertised so keep trying, even if the first employer you try is not offering an apprenticeship.

I want to find out about getting a job

What jobs can school leavers do?

Although most Yr 11 students decide to continue with their education after leaving school, there are students who will be going out to work so it is helpful for you to know what sort of jobs you might be able to do as a Year 11 leaver.

Retail, Manufacturing, Horticulture, Catering, Construction are all areas of work that Year 11 school leavers have entered. 

What skills do employers look for?

Have a look at the pdf icon Top 5 Employability Skills [416kb] that employers ask for. These are the skills that employers want, no matter what job you do.

Employers may also ask for specific technical skills for a particular job so make sure you read a job vacancy carefully so that you know what an employer is looking for.

What is the minimum wage for young people?

Under Guernsey law workers have to be paid a minimum wage. There are different rates depending what age you are. Minimum Wage Information

What documents do I need to sort out before I start work?

Every person working in Guernsey, either for themselves or for an employer, must be eligible to work in Guernsey. You can check if you need to sort any Certificates of Permits (previously known as the 'Right to Work') by using the quick check survey at Population Management

You will also need to give your employer your Social Insurance card number. Social Insurance cards are blue and most people already have a card but if you are new to the island or returning to the island, you will need to register with Social Security. Money is taken out of your wages for social insurance to cover you for specialist medical care, unemployment and sickness benefits, old age and pensions.

You will need an Income Tax code to give to your employer. You will pay tax (20p for every £1 you earn) and this helps the States of Guernsey pay for maintaining essential services such as re-building of schools, maintenance of roads, changing the airport runway, developing health services etc. There are allowances you can get which reduces the amount of tax you pay.

If you have just left school, there is a school leaver form for you to complete. Once you start paying tax, you will have to complete an Income Tax form each year to help work out how much tax you should be paying.

How do I apply for jobs?

The usual ways to apply for jobs include

  • application form
  • on-line application
  • letter and a CV
  • telephone or email
  • social media 

There may be vacancies advertised that you want to apply for or you may want to contact companies on the off chance they may have a vacancy. Have a look in our Job Vacancies section to find out more about vacancies and how to apply.

You may also want to use social media as a tool in your job search and the below resource provides some useful tips. Many opportunities are now advertised on a company's social media channels so make sure you follow or like any companies on social media that you are interested in to keep up to date. You will also need to consider what is on your own social media profiles if you are starting to follow companies on social media! Use some of the tips here Using social media to job search

Getting a part time job whilst I am still at school

Some students are keen to find a part time job, usually on Saturdays. It can be difficult to find a part time job as some employers will only take 16 yr olds or older. You will still need to get the same documents as if you were starting a full time job so have a look in the 'What documents do I need' section on this page.

I want to find out more about going to university in the future

Going to university - finding out more

Even though you are in Year 10 or Year 11, you may already have an interest in finding out more about higher education for the future. We have provided answers to the following questions to help you find out more.

Parents guide to university

How many Guernsey students are at university?

There are about 700 Guernsey students studying at university.

What is the cost of going to university for Guernsey students? 

The cost of going to university will depend on which course you choose.

Have a look at our quick guide to the costs of going to university pdf icon Guide to the cost of going to university [796kb]


Is it possible to study in Guernsey rather than go to university in the UK?

Yes, you can study higher education in Guernsey although we do not have a university here.

Open University
Open College of the Arts
The Guernsey Institute (Guernsey College of Further Education, The GTA University Centre, the Institute of Health and Social Care Studies)

Some universities outside the island may provide distance learning options which would enable you to study based in Guernsey. 

There are some funding options to study higher education based on the island On island higher education - financial support

A Careers Adviser can help!

You might want to explore your ideas more with a Careers Adviser and speak to them about what university would be like. Contact a Careers Adviser

I am an Alderney student

Alderney students

As an Alderney student you face the same decisions as Guernsey students so you can use all the sections in this website to help you find out more.

However, there is extra information you will find helpful about accommodation in Guernsey whilst you study, working in Guernsey legislation and employment opportunities in Alderney. Use some of our guides below to help you find out about more:

pdf icon Information for Alderney students about post-16 options [679kb]

pdf icon Accommodation in Guernsey whilst you study [1Mb]

Information for Alderney residents wanting to live and work in Guernsey

pdf icon Guide to the cost of going to university [796kb]

Money Matters - student funding, wages

Financial support for 16 to 18 year olds in full time education

If your son/daughter is considering staying in full-time education after Year 11, you may find it helpful to know about the Education Maintenance Grant. Parents of students in full-time education from Year 12 and above may apply for a grant towards the cost of supporting their child. The grant is based on an assessment of household income.

Applications for educational maintenance grants should be made in August or September of the academic year about to start.

Financial support for university

Even though your son/daughter is in Year 10 or Year 11, you may find it helpful to know about the financial support for students wanting to study at university. This may be something your son/daughter is already considering as they plan what to study after Year 11 and you may want to check the costs of university and the support your family may be entitled to.

The Education Department supports students choosing to study at university through a means-tested grant scheme. More than £6 million is spent per year supporting around 800 students studying full-time and higher education courses outside of the Bailiwick. The amount of funding received is dependent on a number of factors, including an assessment of parental income.

The Department helps students towards the cost of tuition fees, living costs (maintenance grant) and travel costs.

There are also pdf icon Employer Bursaries [723kb] that students can apply for to help with the cost of going to university. Students can also apply for a grant as well as an employer bursary.

Minimum wage rates for 16 and 17 year olds

If your son/daughter is considering starting work after Year 11, you may find it helpful to know what they should be getting paid as a minimum. Guernsey Law sets the Minimum Wage Rate they should be paid and how this increases once they reach the age of 18 years.

Anyone starting an apprenticeship aged 16 or 17 years of age are not covered by the Law but any Apprentices aged 18 or over are covered by the Law and the Adult wage rate applies.

Understanding Qualifications

Qualifications explained

It can get confusing with all of the levels and names of qualifications that are now available so we have put together some information to help you pdf icon Qualifications explained [474kb]